Friday 11 March 2016

Colourpop Ultra Matte Lip in Bumble and Scrooge - Review

Colourpop needs to introduction. The brand came and conquered. It is raved and loved by everyone. So without any further delay, lets talk about one of their most raved products: Ultra Matte Lip.

Colourpop Ultra Mattes were released last summer and they took the beauty world by storm. Like all liquid lipsticks these Colourpop Ultra Mattes comes in glass tubes with doe-foot applicators. I would suggest using a lip brush to first line your lips and then fill them in using this applicator for a perfect pout.


When the Ultra Mattes were initially released, they were criticised for being too dry causing flakiness. I had picked up Ouiji, but other than the fact that the colour didn't agree with me, the formula was also very drying and peeled of my lips causing extreme discomfort. So I stopped using that. I had my eyes on Bumble forever but for some reason or another, my order would not go through and I never got it. But then they do say that everything happens for a reason and a few months later, I read that Colourpop had improved the formula of these Ultra Mattes and they were no longer as drying as they initially were. I was so excited and I placed my order for Bumble, along with Scrooge which was a holiday release.


Unlike, the original version, these apply smoothly. The pigmentation is superb and it takes only one swipe to achieve full opacity. Multiple swipes can cause the lipstick to flake and crumble. Once set, the Ultra Matte Lip does not move or transfer until you of course eat oily foods. However, over time it feels drying and uncomfortable, even with a primer which is something I don't like about these.


Bumble is described as a terracotta brown and I agree with this description. It is a nice soft brown with orange tones. It looks different on almost everyone; on me it appears slightly pinkier. But this is a definitive must-have colour. I wish that the formula was more comfortable though. 


Scrooge is a bright raspberry pink with the power to light up your face. It appears warm on my face, although it looks slightly cooler in the tube. I'm a big fan of pinks, especially hot pinks so I absolutely love this.


The trick to using these Ultra Matte Lips is to apply the thinnest possible layer and then layer if necessary. When you take the wand out of the tube, gently wipe it along the rim so that less product is left on the applicator so that a thin layer can be applied. 

Overall, I am loving the bright and fresh colours.  However, the formula is a bit off and I hope that Colourpop works on it soon and makes it more comfortable. 

Which shades of these Ultra Matte Lips have you tried? 

Love.