Wednesday 6 February 2019

Winter Hair Care

Let's be honest. The dry winters and the prolonged wedding season hasn't been very gentle on our hair and skin. While I've been able to manage my skin well by following an elaborate skin care routine which includes deep cleansing, exfoliation, and masks, my hair has unfortunately suffered a lot and, in the process, has become extremely dry and brittle, as well as frizzy. Let me add here that my hair has never been frizzy and I've always had good hair thanks to genetics. Hence, I decided it was time to fix the damage and I formulated an extensive routine, shared below, to bring back the lost lustre to my locks.

Oiling

Probably the basic of hair care, and also the most effective, oiling is one of the best ways to enrich your hair and stimulate hair growth. Different oils have different purposes, for example, coconut oil is extremely nourishing while castor oil enables hair growth and a combination of them can boost your hair and nourish them. Other oils include almond, olive and mustard to name a few.

I usually make a mixture of oils and massage it into my hair. Leave for an hour or two and then wash as usual. This technique has helped my hair tremendously. However, the key to this is being regular. I aim to oil my hair at least twice a week but it honestly depends on your hair texture and how much time you have. Nonetheless, once a week should be a must!

Picture via Google
Hair Mask

I've tried several hair masks, including the much-famed onion juice one, but the only mask which has worked wonders for me is the one which includes 2 tablespoons of an oil (coconut, olive, almond etc), an egg yolk and one tablespoon of honey. The softness of my hair after this mask is surreal. Highly recommended!



Diet

As the saying goes, "You are what you eat," a lot of your skin and hair is dependent on the foods you consume. For hair, the best available foods to consume are eggs and nuts, almonds in particular. I ensure that I consume a handful of almonds every day or every other day as they are not only useful for the brain but also the hair. Apart from that, I occasionally (about thrice a week) take a capsule of Cod Liver Oil, which contributes to healthy hair and skin along with strengthening immunity.

Hope this short hair care guide was helpful. How do you maintain a healthy hair care routine? Let me know in the comments below along with your feedback.

Love.