Saturday 15 March 2014

Essence Gel Eyeliner:Midnight in Paris - Review

Black liners are a staple in every makeup bag, whether they are in the form of a pencil, marker, kajal or in a pot to be applied with a brush. I cannot imagine walking out of home without lining my upper lash line. I am always on the look out for eyeliners which are waterproof, smudge-proof and long lasting; after all who wants panda eyes after a few hours. Read on to find out whether the Essence Gel Eyeliner had all those qualities which I want in a liner!


Gel eyeliners are the rage these days, and I was among the first to try these out. However, the earlier ones I tried did not impress me that much and after a few uses I stopped using them. But then I came across a few wonderful reviews on the Essence Gel Eyeliner and I decided that I needed this in my makeup pouch.












The Essence Gel Eyeliner comes in a small glass pot with a black, plastic screw on lid. The packaging is sturdy and is not prone to breakage (Little incident to prove this: I dropped my the pot by mistake. It didn't break, in fact there was not even a scratch on the pot. However, the eyeliner inside did get messed up :(. But I guess I can live with that). The pot contains 3 ml of product in it.


When I initially tried the eyeliner, I was extremely disappointed with it, because it would apply transparent. And I would not get that flawless, deep black liner that I wanted. I was literally like: "Is this was everyone raves about?" Though the liner would not come out nicely on a bare lid, on a shadowed lid, it would look amazing! The lasting power of the liner is beyond amazing, it lasts forever, till the time I take off my makeup and that would be around 8 hours straight. I don't need to touch up my eyeliner, because it remains the same throughout the day. The formula is creamy, so the liner glides onto the lid. The eyeliner dries quickly, once on the lid. Though I was not entirely happy with the way I applied the eyeliner, I continued to use it because of the amazing lasting power and the blackness of the product. The other day, I ran out of clean brushes and used my Essence Eyeliner Brush to apply the liner. The application of the liner changed dramatically. Gone were the gaps in the eyeliner, gone was the transparency! I was so excited with my new discovery. Now every time I apply this eyeliner, I use my Essence Eyeliner Brush with it, for that flawlessly drawn line. I have not used to the eye liner on the lower lid or the waterline, so I don't know how that will be, but I've used it to tightline and I'm very satisfied with the results. It stays there and doesn't run to the lower lid or the outer corners of the eye.

Essence Eye Liner on Bare Lid

Essence Gel Liner over a shadowed lid
Taking off the eyeliner can be a bit of a hassle because it is very waterproof and once dry, it sticks onto your lid like glue. I usually use an oil-based eye makeup remover to take off my eyeliner. It does not come off if you wash your face directly with face wash and water.

I love this eyeliner, and I can see myself purchasing and repurchasing it till Essence decides to discontinue it. It can used to create all sort of eyeliner looks on a daily basis and without putting a dent on your pocket also. You just need to be a pro with the brush!

The Essence Gel Liner comes with a price tag of only 530 rupees. It is available in other colors also. And it can be purchased at all Essence Counters in departmental and cosmetic stores all over Pakistan.

Which is your favourite Gel Liner? Let us know in the comments below.

Love.

Update: My Essence Gel Eyeliner has dried up after 6 months of constant use.