Thursday 8 September 2016

Smashbox Step-By-Step Contour Kit - Review


Contouring has gained immense popularity in recent years (thank you Kim Kardashian :p). While everyone thinks that contouring is a great way to achieve a slimmer face, it is necessary that you do it right else you can end up looking extremely muddy. I've tried my fair share of contouring products and some have been better than others. Smashbox's Contour Kit was the latest one to make it to my Makeup Pouch and I have been enjoying using it.

The Smashbox Step-by-Step Contour Kit has 3 powders: one cool brown for contouring, one warm brown for bronzing and warming up the face and a banana coloured powder for highlighting/setting purposes. These 3 shades are more than enough for contouring and highlighting my face, unlike other contour kits which have an array of different shades. I have the coveted Anastasia Beverly Hills Contour Kit too and to be very honest, I only use 2 of the 6 shades in the palette. This was also the reason which attracted me to the palette; this and the fact that the contour powder in this palette is one of the coolest grey-brown that I have come across. Although I did not have the privilege to try it out, but the pictures and online swatches gave me a fair idea about the coolness of the contour shade. And like expected, the contour shade in this palette is a cool brown which looks extremely natural.


The powders in the palette are smooth and blendable and last almost 6 hours on my skin. The bronzing and contouring shade have little fallout. However, the yellow banana pan has a lot of fall out which sometimes annoys me because I have to keep cleaning the palette. The banana powder does a great job at brightening the under eye, but I feel that its a little too light for me and I need to use it very sparingly.

L-R: Contour, Bronzer, Highlight
The Smashbox Contour Palette is my go-to for contouring and I practically use it everyday. It not only gives beautiful cheekbones on its own, but it also looks great when used to set cream contour.


At $45, the price tag is a little steep given than you can get the Anastasia Beverly Hills palette for $40 and the Kat Von D Shade + Light Contour Palette for $46 and they both have 6 pans. But still given the beautiful contour shade, I am really glad that I got this. The Smashbox Contour Kit comes with a contouring brush, but since I got this at a bargain price from Makeup4u, the brush wasn't included. But hey, whose complaining!

Which contour kit is your favourite? Let me know in the comments below.

Love.