Sunday 1 November 2015

MAC Retro Matte Lipsticks - Review

I have always stopped myself from jumping on the MAC bandwagon in fear that I will get addicted. And needless to say, my fears were justified because I ended up buying not one, but two MAC lipsticks within a week. I was searching for MAC lipstick shades for my sister, whose birthday was coming up and when I saw All Fired Up, I couldn't help but go crazy. It was such a beautiful and wearable shade and I planned to get my hands on it as soon as possible. And with that, All Fired up entered my life. But that was not the stop for me and on my next trip to Al-Fatah, I ended up buying Relentlessly Red after which I became broke, else I am pretty sure I would have bought another lipstick and as I write this review, the craving for another Mac Lipstick is kicking in and I am contemplating getting Taupe or Kinda Sexy. Ufff, there is no stopping me! *hits head in wall* I think before I start googling more shades, I should move onto the review.


Although, there is nothing fancy about MAC lipsticks and they are just shaped like simple black and silver bullets, but there is something very attractive about them that make you feel as if they are worth a million dollars. The packaging is very sturdy and there is no fear of loose caps or anything like that.


Moving on to the actual lipsticks. The formula of the lipsticks is on the drier side and it takes a bit effort to blend and even out the lipstick on the lips. Nothing that a good lip brush cannot do. People recommend that wearing a lip balm under the lipstick will help with its application but lip balms have a slight gloss which I don't like and so I go without it. Dabbing this lipstick will not give you your desired results and I would suggest you to swipe the lipstick lightly and then build up the color. All Fired Up is less drier than Relentlessly Red and therefore easier to apply. The lipstick has the tendency to settle into the fine lines, especially Relentlessly Red, so I would recommend you to exfoliate your lips prior to application. However, the dryness doesn't show from a distance. The lasting power of the lipsticks is brilliant and they last almost 5 hours on my lips but with minimal eating and drinking. Oily foods will cause the lipstick to break down and honestly, the moment I start eating, I wipe the lipstick off my lips and then reapply after eating. Lol :P


L- Relentessly Red  R: All Fired Up
Both the color are gorgeous and when I first bought them, I thought that they both appeared the same on my lips. But with time, I began to notice the differences between them. All Fired Up is deep, hot pink color while Relentessly Red is a pink-toned bright coral color. Both colors complement the desi skin tone and look amazing. They look stunning on almost everyone I have applied them on and everyone is in love the colors. However, the funny thing is that both appear different on every person. All Fired Up has a tendency to appear red on some people, not red red, but a strong mix of red and pink. I tried very hard to take lip swatches, however, none of them were coming out true to color so I had to skip them :(


All Fired Up was the first Mac Lipstick in my collection and I am glad that it was because it is my favourite lipstick to date. I have a weakness for matte lips and these MAC lipsticks are every matte lover's dream come true. If you have a liking for mattes, I would highly recommend you to invest in these lipsticks and they are absolutely the best.


I bought my MAC lipsticks from Al-Fatah, DHA, Lahore for PKR 2100 each. However, they are now available at a multitude of stores across Pakistan at different prices. They can also be ordered online via the various Facebook pages.

Love.