Friday 10 February 2017

tarte Shape Tape Contour Concealer - Review

When tarte released this concealer, it was immediately sold out. Over the course of the next few months, it was restocked but constantly sold out. I tried many times to get hold of it but failed, until a friend's brother travelled to the States and got it for me from Ulta. I think now it is available on the website but if you want it, better to get it sooner than regret later.


The first thing that I noticed about the concealer was how big and thick the packaging was compared to the other tube concealers I had. The tube is clear and shows the concealer while the cap has a cute purple and golden pattern on it. There is a doe-foot applicator attached to it which is also big in size.


tarte's Shape Tape concealer is creamy, thick and pigmented. It blends easily with a Beauty Blender and once set with powder, it stays on for long without fading. In my initial few uses, I applied the concealer onto my undereye directly using the applicator. Since the applicator is bigger in size, there would be a lot of product on my undereye, which I would have to blend crazily with my Beauty Blender. Though it would blend easily, the layer would be slightly thicker than I preferred. I would of course then seal it with powder out of habit. However, after about 6 hours, my undereye would feel heavy, greasy and uncomfortable and I would blot it with tissue to take away the excess. Given this, I was really disappointed because I had been really looking forward to this product and it didn't quite match up to the expectations I had.


The next time I used this concealer, I decided to apply it with a brush to my undereye. I put a little bit of concealer on my brush and then applied to my undereye, proceeding to blend it with my blender. I then set it with powder and went on with my day. By the end of the day, I noticed that my undereye neither felt heavy not greasy. It was then I realized that with this concealer less is more, since it is so pigmented. From that point, I have been applying the concealer with a brush and am now very happy with the way it looks and feels. Not only that, I have also finally understood that the hype around the product is real because it really does cover up my dark circles well and makes my eyes appear brighter. The only thing I wish is that their shades had more warm tones. I have the shade Light Medium Honey and despite the shade name, I feel that my concealer has salmon/pink undertones which tends to make my undereye look ashy and grey, if applied without a colour corrector like in the pictures above and below. Hence, I prefer to cream highlight with this concealer instead of concealing.


I am really pleased with the way the concealer highlights and how long it lasts without fading or creasing. Hence, would definitely give this a thumbs up and recommend it to everyone.

tarte's Shape Tape Concealer retails for $24 and is available at tarte.com and ulta.com.

Love.