Sunday 8 February 2015

Top Drugstore Picks!

A fellow makeup hoarder and a dear friend launched her blog recently by the name of Maleeha Asif - A Solution to all your Beauty and Fashion Dilemmas. The lady behind the blog is a pro on makeup and has vast knowledge of it. I am loving the blog and that is where the inspiration for this fun post came from. I will be listing 10 drug-store makeup products that are needed for a full face. This post will be extremely helpful for all those who are stepping into the addictive world of makeup as well as for those who are looking for budget-friendly makeup. The good news is that most of the products are within PKR 1000.


1) Foundation: Revlon Colorstay Foundation for Combination/Oily Skin in Medium Beige

My fancy and party makeup is not complete without this. This foundation is full coverage and extremely long-lasting which is why I love it. It makes my skin matte and doesn't make it look oily. Definitely one of the best foundations out there. Read review here.


2) Face Powder: Luscious Velvet Matte Face Powder


Luckily I have normal skin, with a slightly oily T-zone so I really don't need to use powder. But in my opinion, a face powder really does set your makeup and adds finesse to it. Luscious's Face Powder is a great option since it sets my foundation and does not make my face look patchy or powdery.

3) Concealer: Diana Of London Concealer



This concealer perfectly conceals and highlights my dark circles, making it the perfect concealer for me. On days I go bare face, I just dab this concealer under my eye and taa-daa!

4) Eyeliner: Maybelline Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner



I am definitely a liner person and I cannot go without lining my upper lids. This gel eyeliner has become my best friend and I can use it on top of eyeshadows as well as on bare eyes without the fear of it smudging or fading. (Review)

5) Mascara: Jordana Best Lash Extreme Volumizing Mascara



Mascaras can really change the way your eye makeup turns out and this Jordana's mascara, separates and volumizes my lashes, making them prominent. (Review)

6) Eyeshadow: Wet n Wild Eyeshadow Palettes




These buttery smooth and super pigmented eyeshadows are the bomb! They not only apply and blend perfectly, their lasting power is admirable also. Almost 5 hours without any primer. But then again, I don't have oily lids. People with oily lids are suggested to wear a primer underneath their eyeshadows. I have the trio in Knock on Wood which has the most amazing plum and brown shade ever. And the other Wet n Wild Palette I have is the 6-pan one in Comfort Zone. This palette has neutral colors as well as colors in shades of green allowing me to create a variety of looks.

7) Blush: NYX Pinched, Makeup Revolution Blushes


Okay so I am not supposed to have two items, but I guess I'll allow myself an exception for blushes because I am completely obsessed with blushes. I LOVE them and my wishlist for blushes in never ending.

NYX Pinched is one of the prettiest blush colors I have ever come across and it has amazing pigmentation and lasting power. (Review)


Given the price tag, one would not expect much from the Makeup Revolution Blushes but these babies are super pigmented and have a lovely variety of colors. They are a little powdery but nothing that cannot be ignored. (Review)

8) Highlighter: ELF Baked Highlighter in Blush Gems


The makeup today is all about glowing complexions and to achieve that we need a good highlighter. ELF Baked Highlighter in  Blush Gems is a well-known dupe of Mac's Soft and Gentle and though I haven't made the comparison myself, I can say that ELF's Highlighter is of great quality and looks stunning against our Asian complexion. It is a little glittery but the glitter can be easily dusted off. Overall, it a good quality highlighter given the price tag.

9) Lipsticks: Wet n Wild Matte Lipsticks



Again I have so many choices that it is difficult to choose just one. But I will not cheat in this category. The best drugstore lipsticks with no doubt are the Wet n Wild ones. For starters, they are matte and long-lasting and the range of shades is mind-blowing. There are so many colors to choose from. I think I have around 10 Wet n Wild Lipsticks in my stash right now *hides face*

10) Makeup Brushes: ELF Studio Brushes


When you have all that makeup, you need tools to apply it too. ELF Studio Brushes are a definitive winner in this category. The quality of these brushes is brilliant and so is the variety.

Phew, finally done! Let me tell you, that this was probably one of the most difficult posts that I had to do given that I love all my makeup and its incredibly hard to choose. But, I hope you enjoyed reading this post. Some products can also be used for multiple purposes. For example, you could use the highlighter in your eyeshadow kit to highlight your face and cheek bones. Similarly, lipsticks could also be dabbed on the cheeks and blended properly to create a flush on your face. It is all about creativity.

Love.